Sunday, November 16, 2014

Tokyo Part 3!

Tokyo is also really good at 'towns' and 'streets' little alcoves in the city that are dedicated to selling or showing one type of thing. Akihabara is probaly the most famous of these towns. Known for being a mecca of electrical shops, as soon as you get out of the station, Akhihabara delivers a full jolt of energy (excuse the pun, I couldn't help myself). Your senses are overcome with bright lights and loud noises, masses of tourists maneuver through nerdy guys yelling out amazing offers on the latests gadgets and pretty girls in maid outfits handing out flyers for their kitschy cafes. Not really my cup of tea, but definitely glad I saw it.







After Akihabara I went to a town that was more my style, Jinbocho, nicknamed the Used Book Store Street. I suppose I was imagining this winding cobblestone street with rickety wooden bookstalls under aging awnings with a nice little local cafe to provide some home cooked comfort food. I thought I was in the wrong place when I got out and saw a normal metropolis street with a decent vehicle traffic running through the street light intersection and a large Starbucks gracing the far corner.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that all of the stores that weren't food shops were in fact used book stores, dozens of them, ranging from contemporary bargain shops to pricey, antique vendors. One of the stores had an entire section devoted to Technical Textbooks in English. I think the best way to describe it is the perfect place to spend a nippy autumn afternoon with a nice hot latte strolling leisurely down the street, in and out of these paperback paradises.






 








My last stop was the Imperial Palace. It was a lot like the Kyoto Imperial Grounds - open, lots of gravel pathways and little gardens between all the stone fortresses. Lots of tourists here, it's proximity to Tokyo Station makes it very accessible, and the free entrance is certainly a perk. Fun tidbit, in case you didn't know, Japan is currently the only country in the world to still have an acting emperor. Japan is a constitutional monarchy though, like the UK, so Emperor Akihito is more of a figurehead, but still a pretty cool title to hold. No emperor sightings to report of this trip unfortunately. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment