Sunday, December 7, 2014

Osaka Part II!

Short one for this week, kind of skimped out and made a two-parter out of a trip that probably could have been done in one. Hope it's worth the wait, back to Osaka.


After Dotonbori, I jumped back on the subway to find Shitennoji Temple, the oldest Buddhist temple in Japan. Though the temple is not very far from Tennoji subway station, it's importance is dwarfed by the trendy Tennoji Park and Zoo which is where most of the subways exit out to and all the street maps guide you to. Nevertheless, it was found and I'm glad I found it. As I've mentioned a few hundred times before I love the colors of the religious architecture in Japan and the beauty of this one was only augmented by the fact that all the structures were in stained deep red wood. Everything was very old and rustic, you can just imagine all the centuries of history this complex houses.

Like many temples I've visited, Shitennoji was located very near a busy intersection in Osaka. This one was a bit less enclosed by woodlands or large gates, so you could still hear the city nearby.  I wonder if the monks who laid the foundation stones for this temple could have even whimsically guessed that 1500 years later it would be surrounding by loud steel petrol monsters twirling about, transporting busy people from place to place.









After Shitennoji, I headed back to the station. Proclaimed online as a tourist attract in and of itself, Osaka City Station has the pomp and excitement of the usual large JR hub multiplied by two. Lots of shopping and gardens and walking paths and overpasses to see and occupy yourself while waiting for your next connection. Highlight was probably the rooftop garden that had a straw scarecrow keeping guard. Cool city. Though there are many more things that could have taken a longer stay in Osaka, I was quite satisfied with my very busy day trip.





Umeda Sky Building - Osaka's Tokyo Sky Tree








No comments:

Post a Comment