Sunday, January 25, 2015

Okinawa - Churaumi Aquarium

Two-fer this week because I missed last week (apologies, again). Next stop of my Japan trip was Okinawa and one of the must-see sights was Churaumi Aquarium at the north end of the island. I'm not usually one for zoos and aquariums but this one is one of the largest and most famous so it seemed like it was not be missed. Churaumi Aquarium is a part of the Ocean Park Expo, a large park that was opened in 1975 during the World's Exposition. Besides the Aquarium there is a history museum with a planetarium, a botanical garden, a mock traditional village, and an arboretum. The whether is the polar opposite (or should I say tropic opposite) of Sapporo, so it was warm and breezy. Very easy to spend a day here. 

The grounds:




The aquarium:



The museum:



The beach:


And my favorite part, the whimsical animal shaped topiary stationed all throughout the grounds:





No comments:

Post a Comment