Saturday, March 8, 2014

How Convenient! (Part 2)

I spent a while trying to come up with a witty pun for vending machines but the ones I came up with were so bad, I didn't think I could sell any of them. Get it, get it? :)

Besides having convenience stores everywhere, the other thing Japan has an (over) abundance of is vending machines. Cool, complicated, crazy, but as always, convenient.

When I mean everywhere, they are everywhere. Food courts, break rooms, outside of convenience stores. What is think is most interesting is the ones that are just on the side of the road. It feels like almost every street houses a vending machine. This is the one I pass on my way to work every day. I suspect there are a few people who grab a cup of hot coffee every morning.


That's one thing I do really like Japanese vending machines - there are both cold AND hot drinks! How neat! Sometimes the color of the price shows if it is hot or cold. On the red machine below you can tell the difference by the backdrop of the bottle display (blue is cold, red is hot).


And they have vending machines for everything! Drinks, of course, but also food, ice cream, cigarettes, beer. The KIRIN machine on the right is a beer dispenser that was at my hotel. Don't worry, family, I never felt the urge to use it. :)  

There are five main break rooms for the Technical department at work. Each break room has two or three different types of vending machines like the one shown below. The machine on the right is a normal hot/cold bottled vending machine. The one in the middle dispenses hot and iced coffee and hot chocolate in small disposable cups. The one on the left is a fancy coffee machine with fifty different options of hot or iced, sugar, milk, foamy, frothy, basically whatever you want. It's like an automated Starbucks barista.

 

Close up of the magic coffee machine is shown below. You can see all the options a little bit better. Thirsty anyone?


2 comments:

  1. Dude! Are there a lot of Coca-Cola ones?? And are they in tin bottles??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the little aluminium bottles! I've seen a few for Coke and a bunch for different types of coffees too! My boss's boss always has a different type of coffee in the little bottle every morning! :)

      Delete