Wednesday, March 5, 2014

How Convenient!

If there is one thing thing Japan is certainly not lacking in, it is how easily accessible basic household goods are. There are no Walmarts or Targets that are open 24 hrs. Normal grocery stores have relatively normal hours. To pick up the remaining slack there are convenience stores. Convenience stores are exactly what they sound like, basically the little shop that we have gas stations, except that there are no pumps, just the store part.

International franchises of some American convenience stores like 7-11 and Circle K are common as well are other less familiar names like Lawson's and Bellmart. What absolutely blows my mind is the sheer volume of said convenience stores. Picture proof is below. All of these pictures are of stores within walking distance (I'm talking like 5-10 minutes walking distance) of my apartment:

 

 




Ridiculous right? And they're not even all the same type of store! I think I somehow economically understand how multiple Starbucks on one city block can sustain themselves (at least it's a monopoly!) before I can understand how all of these stores still have business. ALL THE TIME! Just nuts!

In any case, if you need any basic household item ie. detergent, toothpaste, milk, bread or any sort of quick meal or pastry or coffee, they have it all. Though part of me wonders why the need, I know when it arises, I'll be very glad. If nothing else, they are definitely convenient!

No comments:

Post a Comment